- "International Law and Legitimacy and the Palestine Question."Hastings International and Comparative Law Journal 30:2 (Winter 2007), 173-180
- "The United States and Palestine." In The Future of Palestine and Israel: From Colonial Roots to Post-Colonial Realities Edited by Aslam Farouk-Alli. Midrand, South Africa: Institute for Global Dialogue, and Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, 2007.
- "Edward Said and Palestine: Balancing the Academic and the Political, the Public and the Private." In Waiting for the Barbarians: A Tribute to Edward Said. pp.44-52. Edited by Muge Sokmen and Basak Ertur. London: Verso, 2008.
- "Anti-Zionism, Arabism and Palestinian Identity: Isa al-Isa and Filastin." In Configuring Identity in the Modern Arab East pp.83-96. Edited by Samir Seikaly. Beirut: American University of Beirut Press, 2009.
- "The Treatment of the Palestine Question in Anglo-American Works since 1948." Majallat al-Dirasat al-Filistiniyya 21, 84 (2010) 42-53 [Arabic].
- "Jerusalem: The history of the future." In al-Quds: Tarikh al-mustaqbal [Jerusalem: History of the Future], xi-xviii. Edited by Issam Nassar. Ramallah: Institute for Palestine Studies, 2010.
- "1948 and after in Palestine: Universal Themes?" Critical Inquiry 40:4 (Summer, 2014)
- Brokers of Deceit: How the US has Undermined Peace in the Middle East (Boston: Beacon Press, 2014)
- The Iron Cage: The Story of the Palestinian Struggle for Statehood (Boston: Beacon Press, 2006)
- Palestinian Identity: The Construction of Modern National Consciousness (New York: Columbia University Press, 1997)
- et al, ed., The Origins of Arab Nationalism (New York: Columbia University Press, 1991)
- Under Siege: P.L.O. Decision-making during the 1982 War (New York: Columbia University Press, 1985)
- and C. Mansour, eds., Palestine and the Gulf (Beirut: Institute for Palestine Studies, 1982)
- British Policy towards Syria and Palestine 1906-1914 (Oxford: Ithaca Press, 1980)
- Good Muslim, Bad Muslim: America, the Cold War and the Roots of Terror (New York: Pantheon, 2004)
- “The Politics of Culture Talk in the Contemporary War on Terror,” Indian Journal of Politics, 43:2 (June 2009)
- ‘Good Muslim, Bad Muslim: A Political Perspective on Culture and Terrorism,’ in E. Hershberg and K. W. Moore, eds., Critical Views of September 11: Analyses from Around the World (New York: The New Press, 2002)
- ‘Contemporary Political Terror: Its Origins in the Late Cold War,” Guild Practioner 62:1 (Winter 2005)
- ‘Culture Talk: Six Debates That Shape the Discourse on ‘Good’ Muslims,’ American Journal of Islamic Social Sciences, 22:3 (Summer 2005)
- ‘The Secular Roots of Radical Political Islam,’ Turkish Policy Quarterly, 4:2 (Summer 2005)
- ‘Good Muslim, Bad Muslim: America, The Cold War and the Origins of Terror,’ India International Centre Quarterly, 32:1 (Summer 2005)
- ‘Good Muslim, Bad Muslim: Post-Apartheid Perspectives on America and Israel,’ 2003 APLA Distinguished Lecture, Political and Legal Anthropology Review, 27:1 (2004)
- With Gyan Prakash and Ella Shohat, ‘Introduction: Palestine in a Transnational Context,’ Social Text 75, 21:2, Summer 2003, 1-5
- Year of the Locust: A Soldier’s Diary and the Erasure of Palestine’s Ottoman Past (forthcoming, University of California Press, 2011)
- Ihsan's War: The Intimate Life of an Ottoman Soldier (Beirut: Institute for Palestine Studies, 2008)
- The Mountain Against the Sea (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2008)
- and I. Nassar, eds., Biography and Social History of Bilad al Sham (Beirut: Institute for Palestine Studies, 2007)
- and I. Nassar, eds., Pilgrims, Lepers, and Stuffed Cabbage: Essays on Jerusalem's Cultural History (Al-Bireh: Institute of Jerusalem Studies, 2005)
- ed., Essays on the Cultural History of Ottoman and Mandate Jerusalem (Al-Bireh: Institute of Jerusalem Studies, 2005)
- and E. Zureik, Reinterpreting the Historical Record. The uses of refugee archives for social science research and policy analysis (Jerusalem: Institute of Jerusalem Studies, 2001)
- ‘Kissing Cousins. A Cautionary Note on People-to-People Projects,’ Palestine-Israel Journal 12/13:4/1 (2005), 16-18
- ‘A Miserable Year in Brooklyn. Khalil Sakakini in America 1907-08,’ Jerusalem Quarterly File 17 (February 2003), 19-40