- Brokers of Deceit: How the US has Undermined Peace in the Middle East (Boston: Beacon Press, 2014)
- The Iron Cage: The Story of the Palestinian Struggle for Statehood (Boston: Beacon Press, 2006)
- Palestinian Identity: The Construction of Modern National Consciousness (New York: Columbia University Press, 1997)
- et al, ed., The Origins of Arab Nationalism (New York: Columbia University Press, 1991)
- Under Siege: P.L.O. Decision-making during the 1982 War (New York: Columbia University Press, 1985)
- and C. Mansour, eds., Palestine and the Gulf (Beirut: Institute for Palestine Studies, 1982)
- British Policy towards Syria and Palestine 1906-1914 (Oxford: Ithaca Press, 1980)
Recent Scholarly Articles
- "International Law and Legitimacy and the Palestine Question."Hastings International and Comparative Law Journal 30:2 (Winter 2007), 173-180
- "The United States and Palestine." In The Future of Palestine and Israel: From Colonial Roots to Post-Colonial Realities Edited by Aslam Farouk-Alli. Midrand, South Africa: Institute for Global Dialogue, and Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, 2007.
- "Edward Said and Palestine: Balancing the Academic and the Political, the Public and the Private." In Waiting for the Barbarians: A Tribute to Edward Said. pp.44-52. Edited by Muge Sokmen and Basak Ertur. London: Verso, 2008.
- "Anti-Zionism, Arabism and Palestinian Identity: Isa al-Isa and Filastin." In Configuring Identity in the Modern Arab East pp.83-96. Edited by Samir Seikaly. Beirut: American University of Beirut Press, 2009.
- "The Treatment of the Palestine Question in Anglo-American Works since 1948." Majallat al-Dirasat al-Filistiniyya 21, 84 (2010) 42-53 [Arabic].
- "Jerusalem: The history of the future." In al-Quds: Tarikh al-mustaqbal [Jerusalem: History of the Future], xi-xviii. Edited by Issam Nassar. Ramallah: Institute for Palestine Studies, 2010.
- "1948 and after in Palestine: Universal Themes?" Critical Inquiry 40:4 (Summer, 2014)