- "Racial Palestinianization and the Janus-Faced Nature of the Israeli State" Patterns of Prejudice 44:1 (2010), 27-41
- ‘Edward Said and the Political Present,’ American Ethnologist 32:4 (2005), 538-555
- ‘Producing (Arti)Facts: Archaeology and Power during the British Mandate of Palestine’, Israel Studies 7:2 (Summer 2002), 33-61.
- ‘Translating Truths: Nationalism, Archaeological Practice and the Remaking of Past and Present in Contemporary Jerusalem,’ American Ethnologist 25:2 (1998), 166-188.
- "Pushing at the Door: My Father's Political Education, and Mine". In Seeking Palestine: New Palestinian Writing on Exile and Home, ed. Penny Johnson and Reja Shehadeh. Delhi, India (2012): Women Unlimited, pp. 43-61.
- Transnational Politics and Feminist Inquiries in the Middle East: An Interview with Professor Lila Abu-Lughod. Basuli Deb. Postcolonial Text. Vol 7, No 1 (2012).
- Foreword to R. Kanaaneh and I. Nuseir, eds., Displaced at Home: Ethnicity and Gender Among Palestinians in Israel (Albany: SUNY Press, 2010), ix-xiii
- ‘The Active Social Life of “Muslim Women’s Rights”: A Plea for Ethnography, not Polemic, with Cases from Egypt and Palestine,’ Journal of Middle East Women’s Studies, 6:1 (Winter 2010), 1-45.
- ‘Return to Half-Ruins: Memory, Postmemory, and Living History in Palestine,’ in L. Abu-Lughod and A. Sa’di, eds., Nakba: Palestine, 1948, and the Claims of Memory (New York: Columbia University Press, 2007), 77-103. Abridged and reprinted as ‘Return to Half-Ruins: Fathers and Daughters, Memory and History in Palestine,’ in M. Hirsch and N. Miller, eds., Rites of Return (New York: Columbia University Press, 2011)
- ‘About Politics, Palestine, and Friendship: A Letter to Edward from Egypt,’ Critical Inquiry 31:2 (Winter 2005), 381-88
- ‘The Adjacent Art of Documentary: A Palestinian Film Festival,’ American Anthropologist, 106:1 (March 2004), 150-1
- ‘Our Blood will Plant its Olive Tree,’ foreword to J. Varner Gunn, Second Life: A West Bank Memoir (University of Minnesota Press, 1995)
Books and Edited Volumes
- The Palestinian Novel: From 1948 to the Present Forthcoming from Cambbridge University Press
- "Palestinian Trajectories: Novel and Politics since 1948", Modern Language Quarterly 75:4 (December 2014)
- "Palestinian Actualities", Race & Class 54:3 (Spring 2013), 87-96.
- ‘Israel in the US Empire,’ in E. Boehmer and S. Morton, eds., Terror and the Postcolonial: A concise companion (Wiley-Blackwell, 2010)
- ‘Israel’s Colonial Siege and the Palestinians,’ Socialist Register 44 (2008), 101-120
- ‘Towards liberation: Michel Khleifi's Ma’loul and Canticle,’ in H. Dabashi, ed., Dreams of a Nation: Palestinian Cinema (London: Verso, 2006)
- "Review: Unsettling Gaza: Secular Liberalism, Radical Religion, and the Israeli Settlement Project." Journal of Palestine Studies 41 (Summer 2015) 84-85
Books and Edited Volumes
- Semites: Race, Religion, Literature (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2008)
- The Jew, the Arab. A History of the Enemy (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2002)
- Ed., Dreams of a Nation: Palestinian Cinema (London: Verso, 2006)
- ‘Paradise Delayed: With Hany Abu-Assad in Palestine,’ Third Text, Critical Perspective on Contemporary Art and Culture, Cinema in Muslim Societies, Special Issue, 102, 24:1 (January 2010)
- ‘In praise of frivolity: on the cinema of Elia Suleiman,’ in H. Dabashi, ed., Dreams of a Nation: Palestinian Cinema (London: Verso, 2006)
- ‘The Nakba at 60, Silence and the Limits of Commemorative Representation’ (forthcoming in edited volume)
- ‘The Israeli Prison as Palestinian University – Israeli Prisons, Palestinian Prisons’ in Bulletin of the Council for British Research in the Levant 2010 (forthcoming November 2010)
- ‘Terrorisme et justice de transition dans les territoires palestiniens occupés: des concepts mutuellement exclusifs?’ in International Studies Journal 24, 6:4 (Spring 2010), 135-70
- ‘1948 After Oslo. Memory, truth and reconciliation in Palestine,’ in S. Haugbolle and A. Hastrup, eds., The Politics of Violence, Truth and Reconciliation in the Arab Middle East (London: Routledge, 2008), 151-70
- Historicity and the nakba commemorations of 1998 (Florence, Italy: European University Institute Working Papers, 2005)
- ‘The “Quiet Deportation” Revisited. Family Unification in the Occupied Palestinian Territories,’ in Waiting for Justice: Al-Haq 25th Anniversary Report (Ramallah: al-Haq, 2005), 201-224
- with P. Lagerquist, ‘“Après Nous, Nous”: Covering the Colonial Retreat,’ Middle East Report online, 17 May 2005
- Birthing the Nation: Strategies of Palestinian Women in Israel (Berkeley: University of California, 2002)
- Surrounded: Palestinian Soldiers in the Israeli Military. (Stanford, Stanford University Press, 2009)
- Ed. with Isis Nusair, Displaced at Home: Ethnicity and Gender Among Palestinians in Israel. (Albany: SUNY, 2010)